Webseite Black Forest Games GmbH
Black Forest Games is part of the fastest growing publisher in Europe, Embracer Group, and the biggest studio of THQ Nordic Vienna. Our last release was the highly successful remake of ‘Destroy All Humans!’.
Here in the south of Germany, directly at the French border, we combine the creative freedom and culture of an independent studio with the financial security of a big publisher.
We are an international team and we foster diversity. Sharing this mindset is a must for us. We are happy for every candidate who contributes to the diversity of our team.
VFX Artist (f/m/d)
We are currently looking for a VFX Artist to work on our upcoming projects with Unreal Engine. He will breathe life into our games through rich, vibrant effects: weather effects, blasting explosions, magic spells, and a whole bunch of other fun stuff. The work will be done using Unreal4, also our in-house toolset and a collection of licensed tools (Max, Photoshop, effects plugins like fumefx, Afterburn and similar). The ideal candidate has a unique ability to create awesome looking effects with just a handful of assets, animated textures and some simple yet inventive methods. Experience with shaders is a plus.
- Visual effects creation using Unreal 4 and also in-house tools and technology (particle- and mesh-based effects)
- Work on the textures for these effects using 3d party licensed tools: 3DS Max, Photoshop, Afterburn, FumeFX, Aftereffects.
- Modeling and texturing of meshes for the VFX assets
- Work together with Technical Art Director to ensure the highest quality and the best performance for effects
- R&D for the effect pipeline – new tricks and techniques
- Work on further improvements and customization of our existing effects toolset
Reporting directly to the lead VFX artist
- 2+ years experience as VFX artist in a studio
- Experience with in-game effects creation (particles and screen effects)
- Inquisitive mindset and creative approach to work: capable to create effects in a constrained environment (project specific performance requirements, amount of emitters and particles, etc.)
- Being capable of 3D asset creation using Max, Photoshop, Mudbox/zBrush
- Strong understanding of in-game lighting techniques and the impact they have on the VFX
- Experience with Unreal 4.
- Excellent communication skills & proven ability to work within a team.
- Experience with video visual effects software particles e.g. Adobe After Effects
- Keen interest in in CGI effects production
- Basic programming skills (to be able to work on shaders or implement engine side effect calls)
- Passion for new effect types e.g. meatball, fluid simulation, morphing effects, etc.
- Willingness to invest into tools design and further development (sending your requests to Tools code team)
- General CG artistic skills, such as animation, camera work, hand drawing skills.
- We would like to see your portfolio and reel
What else do we offer?
- Flexible working hours
- 28 days of holiday
- Competitive salary
- Green office
- Stability of a successful publisher paired with creative freedom of an independent studio and the chance to work with a great team in an open culture where your opinion and input is welcome and considered, beyond your dedicated task.
Why join Black Forest Games?
We are a team with a long history of looking for long-term companions – we are hiring for the studio, not for the project. This is an important part of our company philosophy. Talent is always welcome no matter where you are from. We offer a family-friendly work-life balance and a lot of flexibility.
Here you can work on IPs known worldwide and have a hand in shaping them.
As a bonus, Black Forest Games is located in one of the most beautiful and wealthiest areas in the South of Germany, located closely to Strasbourg, Karlsruhe and Basel. Getting here is easy, because of excellent traffic conditions – 3 airports about 30 minutes away, the Autobahn and the ICE station right around the corner. All of this in a region where kids still play in the nature and drive to school by bike.
You love everything about us, but you don’t want to live in Germany? No problem, lots of our developers are living cross the border in Strasbourg, France and get here easily by train or car. Strasbourg is one of the biggest cities in France with 500.000 citizens.
Um sich für diesen Job zu bewerben, sende deine Unterlagen per E-Mail an email@example.com